On Monday, Facebook rolled out a new change where everybody’s published email address under contacts, was changed to a newly assigned one based on the @facebook.com format. What this means for Facebookers is that anyone emailing them via their Facebook account would see their mail end up in FB messages, not the usual email inbox.
Facebook maintains it is giving the user the choice of email but as The Guardian blog puts it,
We shall gloss over the question of whether a “choice” really exists if a user is not aware of it.
Go to your Facebook profile, and click on the “About” button, which is somewhere under your profile picture. Where you see “contact info”, click on “edit”. Next to your real email address, click on the little box that says “hidden from timeline”. Change it to ‘Shown on timeline’. Now click on the box next to the impostor Facebook email address. Change it to “hidden from timeline”. Click save. Exit Facebook.
Filed under: social media | 1 Comment
Tags: email, facebook
the type of stuff I write about2009 advertising Amazon apprentice art banksy blog bloggers blogging blogs Blogs I like to read books business campervan cartoon cartoon strip celebrity Christmas CIPR collaboration colocation communications Cornwall design digital rubbernecking dj economy email facebook family flexible working future gapingvoid google graffiti holiday home worker homeworking HR internet iphone journalists knickers LFC linkedin management marketing maternity leave media media relations mobile music networking Obama orange photo politics PR purple cow recession recruitment remote working sanity search Seth Godin social media social networking stripblogging tech pr teleworking TV Twitter Twitter tools websites worklife balance
- RT @RobNolanTruro: Glad to hear @FGW putting people in taxis at Plymouth, to complete journeys to Cornwall. 2 weeks ago
- RT @Jane_Samuels: #UKStorms "@CllrAWallis Pier completely underwater in #Porthleven http://t.co/rIROa5Zxs6 " 2 weeks ago
- RT @PorthPiskie66: Its another wild night in Porthleven. Foam Party currently happening on the Harbour Head! #ukstorm http://t.co/IIWnsu85… 2 weeks ago
- @L0fth0use me too lovely, 'tis utterly wild down west tonight 1 month ago
- @SarraMander looked fabulous fun and you all looked great ! 1 month ago
a bit about meI am head of the technology and corporate division at Ruder Finn UK. The opinions voiced here just belong to little ol' me and are not necessarily representative of the agency's views.
where to find me
things I’ve written lately